Summer Car Care Tips
With so many people saving money these days by driving to their vacation
destination rather than flying, we at AutoHeroes thought we would point
out some things that you should consider before heading out for your summer
If you haven't had your car in for routine maintenance in the last few
months, try and get it into the mechanics shop a week or so before you
leave on your trip. It's better to catch a problem now than at 9:00 pm
somewhere in the middle of nowhere. Have your mechanic check the following:
- Air Conditioning system. Nothing is worse than
sitting in traffic in a car with A/C that doesn't work. Especially if
it's sunny and 95, which as Murphy's law would have it, is the weather
when your A/C decides to fail on you.
- Cooling System. If you haven't had the cooling
system of your car flushed recently, do it now. This will help prevent
your car from overheating.
- Check your belts and hoses for cracking and
have them replaced if necessary.
- Change your oil frequently. Most engines in
new cars have longer oil change intervals than cars from a few years
ago. Follow your manufacturers guidelines and make sure that you hang
on to the receipts.
- Check or replace your filters.
- Check to make sure that your lights are functioning
- Replace your windshield wipers. AutoHeroes recommends
replacing your wipers 2 times a year
once before winter so you
have a new set to get you through bad weather, and once in the spring
to handle those rain storms.
- Inspect your tires. Make sure that your tires
are wearing evenly and that they do not need to be
After the mechanic gives your car a once-over,
take the time to pack some backup items:
- One gallon of 50% coolant to
- 2 spare quarts or oil.
- One Gallon of windshield washer
- A good flashlight with spare
- A disposable camera in case
of accident or a good photo opportunity
- A piece of carpet or a door
mat, in case you have to kneel down on the ground in bad weather
- Drinking water. People always
- Sunblock and insect repellant.
These are just a few items that can make your life a littler better when
out on the road this summer. And remember when driving long distances,
take breaks ever couple of hours and stretch. Enjoy your summer!
Copyright © 2003, AutoHeroes
< Return to
Articles main page